Don’t be put off by the “gluten-free” tag, this bread will win over your preconceptions and keep you fed – healthily! – for a week!
Even if you aren’t gluten free, don’t be put off by the stigma. This makes the most sustaining breakfast toast – especially when served topped with avocado. It will keep you feeling full until lunch, and it’s packed full of goodness.
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup of linseed (flax)
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour (this isn’t wheat)
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- ¾ cups of tapioca flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp of bicarbonate soda
- 5 eggs
- 1 large zucchini (300g)
- 1 regular carrot (100g)
- A handful of grated cheese of choice (mozzarella or parmesan is nice)
- Flaked almonds to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 180° and line a regular loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl plus the cheese.
- Grate zucchini and carrot into a bowl. With two hands squeeze some of the moisture out before adding to the dry mix bowl.
- Lightly whisk the eggs together in the bowl you had the zucchini and carrot in – then add to the dry mix.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined and spread evenly into loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the top with flaked almonds and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the top has browned and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack, then slice up and enjoy.
This bread is nicest served toasted and will keep in the fridge for a week. Slice up and freeze so you always have a healthy breakfast option ready to go.
Top with avocado; avocado and goats cheese; avocado, feta and olive oil; avocado and smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, bacon, and eggs, sautéed mushrooms and spinach – or anything else you’d have on toast.